Here at AES National, we have always been staunch advocates of fire sprinkler systems, and try to spread the word about their many fantastic benefits as much as we can – if you happen to follow our blogs regularly, then this will likely not come as much of a surprise! But is a sprinkler system alone enough to give you complete peace of mind that your property (and the people residing in it) will be safe from the threat of fire? In this blog we will be looking into smoke and Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors, following the new regulations passed by parliament at the end of last year requiring all landlords in the UK to install smoke detectors on every floor of their property, along with carbon monoxide detectors in high risk rooms, and to test them at the start of every new tenancy.
Smoke Detectors Save Lives
These regulations which were passed on 14th September to take effect on 1st October, and which could fetch up to £5,000 in civil penalties for those who don’t abide by them – clearly point to a growing awareness of the danger posed by fire, and to a need for more fire safety measures. Statistics show that:
- Death is four times more likely if you do not have a working smoke detector installed
- The chance of an elderly person dying in a house fire doubles if they live alone and do not have a working smoke alarm installed
- Fire-related deaths have been halved since smoke alarms were introduced
This legislation is, therefore sure to prevent many fire-related tragedies in the years to come. You may be reading this blog thinking, “I’ve got by for years without a smoke detector,” but it only takes one house fire to prove just how important they are; and after all, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Perhaps the biggest stride forward in safety that the regulations have brought, however, is in Carbon Monoxide awareness. More than 4,000 people in the UK are submitted to Accident and Emergency with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning per year, around 50 of whom die from it. It is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell, attributes which have led it to be referred to as the ‘silent killer’. The dangers of carbon monoxide were brought to the public’s attention in October last year, former England International rugby player Simon Halliday and his partner were reported to have admitted to hospital following a near-fatal bout of poisoning, resulting from an incorrectly fitted gas boiler. This is one of the most common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning, and can be prevented by both making sure that your boiler is fitted by a reputable professional and that a carbon monoxide detector is installed in your property; a device which costs no more than £30.
We urge you to be mindful of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, and to seek immediate medical attention should you feel that you may have increased levels of the gas in your property. They include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Tiredness and confusion
- Stomach pain
- Difficulty breathing
AES National has a team of experienced gas engineers with a wealth of experience under their belts, many of whom are also members of the Gas Safe Register (www.gassaferegister.co.uk). Not only will we make sure that your gas boiler is installed correctly, we also fit carbon monoxide detectors. So make sure to arrange a free consultation or demonstration at our head office in Ipswich, Suffolk by giving us a call on 01473 320 350 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.